Retiring to Thailand - what do I need to know?

Thailand's breath-taking beaches and relaxing lifestyle make it no surprise the foreigners find themselves wanting to spend their retirement in the land of smiles. Like any move abroad there are hurdles to overcome, but don't worry - we can get you there!

To apply you must be over 50 and be able to show you can take care of yourself financially. You also need medical insurance from a Thai insurer and the wealth of other documents. Our experienced consultants will take the stress out of the application process and be with you all the way.

There are two types of retirement visas which foreign nationals can apply for:

The O - A visa is valid for one year and can be renewed annually and

The O - X visa is valid for 10 years and is renewable once more for a further 10 years. This visa is only available to a select group of retirees from the following 14 countries; Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Canada and United States.

Once you have your visa you need to be aware certain things, for example you will be required every 90 days to report to immigration. This is the Thai government's method for keeping track of the movements of expats within the country as well as their effort to prevent illegal immigration. You must confirm your address each time you report to immigration. If you want to leave you will need to apply for a re-entry permit and if you don't your visa will be invalidated.

If you plan to retire with family members this is also possible. in the event but they don't qualify for the retirement visa they can apply for a non-immigrant O visa or ED visa for a dependent child under the age of 20. 

You are not allowed to have employment while on a retirement visa. 


© Copyright 2024. All rights reserved. The information and commentary on this website is provided free of charge for information purposes only. The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice to any person. We try to make sure information is accurate at the date it is published. Immigration requirements change on a regular basis. For the latest update contact us directly. Thai Embassy UK and are trading names of The Penn Visa Company.

We need your consent to load the translations

We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details and accept the service to view the translations.